Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Word of the week- fottuto

During the recent signing into law of the long-awaited healthcare bill, it was apparent to some (although I didn't hear it) that the Vice-Prez said to the Numero Uno: "this is a big fucking deal." Not exactly the language George Washington and Thomas Jefferson would have used, but then, Washington and Jefferson owned human beings and Biden doesn't, so we're more than even.

Well, the Italians have their own F word. Fottuto. Unlike our rough Anglo-Saxon, this comes from the Latin verb futuere (It. fottere), which describes the same extremely popular activity. Those of you who know French will recognize the well-beloved foutre e.g. fous-moi la paix, leave me the hell alone. It is also derived from the Latin. As in English, the forms of this verb are also used as swear words.

Let's look at some examples:

Siamo fottuti!
We're fucked!

Va a farti fottere.
Go get fucked/drop dead.

Non ne posso piu' di questo fottutissimo paese!
I can't take this goddam country anymore!

Non me ne fotte niente.
I don't give a fuck.

Mi hanno fottuto il portatile!
They stole/ripped off my laptop.

Comandare e' meglio che fottere.
Power is better than sex. [Personally, I disagree]