Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Word of the week- condominio

Here's a word that is obviously related to our American English word "condominium," but it does not mean quite the same thing. When the Italians refer to their condominio, they mean the entire building in which units are located. Italians who live in a condominio never refer to their home as a condominio. If they own, it is called casa, "house," as most Italians do not in fact live in single-family homes (villetta). If they rent, their place is referred to as either casa or appartamento. To distinguish owned homes from rentals, one may say casa di proprieta' or casa in affitto, respectively.

(in the photo, an average Italian condominio)