Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Eataly in Turin

I do not know how I missed this. It must be because of the profound neglect everyone (including Italians) nurtures toward poor Turin/Torino in northwestern Italy as a tourist attraction. Recent Olympics notwithstanding.

At any rate, my eyes were opened by today's New York Times article on the poor, neglected town. Perhaps in a fit of overcompensation, they have opened a humongous (or as they say in Italian, umangoso) gastronomic center with eight themed restaurants, cafes, gelateria, stores to buy artisanal food and wine, and space for educational pursuits. It is called Eataly. Another one has already opened in Japan, with a much smaller store in Milan in Piazza Cinque Giornate. And they eventually plan to spread all over the place.

I must shamefacedly admit that ole Corby Kummer in The Atlantic done out-scooped me over a year ago with his coverage of this- this- whatchamacallit.