Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Preposterous pasta prices!

Sometimes I feel like a spaghettiless child! Which, if you ask me, is worse than being a motherless child- unless you're very small and you can only get your spaghetti through your mom.

Pasta prices are going through the roof. This has to do with wheat prices being high (durum wheat in particular, from which Italian pasta is made). There is even some talk of collusion and price-fixing in Italy. Inflation there is at the highest level since July of 1996, but pasta prices have risen by 22.4%.

What this means for me is that my habitual De Cecco spaghetti, which I get through Roche Brothers out of Wellesley, Massachusetts, is now $2.89 per pound. It was $1.99 ten days ago at the Whole Foods Symphony in Boston. As a result, I will be investigating alternatives over the summer. Stay tuned, I'll keep you informed.

In the meantime, here is my post on spaghetti.