Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Giovanni Rana pasta

I'm getting to be the stereotype of the blogger: what I had for lunch. Actually, I'm worse than the stereotype. I actually told the world last Saturday morning what soap I showered with.

Well. As I was saying before I so rudely interrupted myself. For lunch (apart from copious Scottish salmon with fresh lime and freshly-ground pepper). I had the newly-available Giovanni Rana fresh pasta I bought yesterday at Shaw's/Copley in Boston. I had seen this many, many times in my fifteen years in the Veneto. This time I got the "giant mushroom ravioli." I was very pleased. The package was about five bucks, and I had it as one large portion. I boiled it according to instructions, while I heated equal amounts of butter and olive oil in a pan. I went out to the deck where I picked fresh chives, flat-leaf parsley and thyme. Minced these, and added them to the pan. When the ravioli were done, I drained them and added them to the pan, with salt and freshly-ground pepper. I finally added freshly ground Parmigiano. Let's just say that the final dish (if you can find it), would set you back 15-20 bucks in a restaurant. You do the math.

I also tried the gorgonzola and walnut tortellini from Giovanni Rana last week. These were also good, but not qute as good as the above.
Their site can be found here.

A warning: with pasta as with other products, you must try on a one-on-one basis. If one product of a given brand is good or even excellent, the others may be less so. Experiment, do your research, and use coupons and special offers.