Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Like paella? Try tiella




Tiella alla barese is a sort of casserole from Puglia, the heel of Italy. It is also known as riso, patate e cozze, from its main ingredients (rice, potatoes and mussels.) There are variants from other parts of Puglia; for example, the version from Taranto calls for zucchini. But this dish, which is certainly part of the great tradition of Italian cucina povera, can certainly be dressed up at will with the addition of other seafood and spices or herbs.

I haven't yet tried the recipe myself, so I am providing a detailed English-language recipe with pics from a capable blogger, which you can find here. Note: I myself might substitute frozen, thawed mussels for the fresh. Also, the recipe may be deceptively simple, as you should take care that the the rice, potatoes and mussels all cook up at the same time in the oven.