Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Jimmy Fontana, Il Mondo





Yesterday singer Jimmy Fontana died at age 78. He had some big hits in Italy in the 60's, the best of which was Il mondo, written in part by Fontana, with the arrangement of the ubiquitous Ennio Morricone.

No, stanotte amore
non ho più pensato a te,
ho aperto gli occhi
per guardare intorno a me
e intorno a me
girava il mondo come sempre.

Gira, il mondo gira
nello spazio senza fine
con gli amori appena nati,
con gli amori già finiti
con la gioia e col dolore
della gente come me.

Oh mondo, soltanto adesso,
io ti guardo
nel tuo silenzio io mi perdo
e sono niente accanto a te.

Il mondo,
non si é fermato mai un momento,
la notte insegue sempre il giorno,
ed il giorno verrà.

Here is my translation.

No, tonight, my love, I haven't thought of you anymore, I opened my eyes to look around me, and around me the world was turning, as always. Turning, the world is turning in endless space, with love that has just been born, with love that has already died, with the joy and the pain of people like me. Oh world, I'm only seeing you now, I'm losing myself in your silence and I am nothing next to you. The world, it has never stopped one moment, night always chases day, and daylight will come ...