Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Trader Joe's mini almond biscotti- review

Finally. Some user-friendly biscotti.

Found these today at my local Trader Joe's, for 3.99 for 8 oz. Quite good. A friend who had been invited (reluctantly) to partake pronounced them the best biscotti he had ever had. He proceeded to have another, uninvited. I shall hide all cookies from him, forthwith.

They are made with almonds, which I can never resist. They are smaller than other biscotti and described as soft-bite. They are not as hard as your usual biscotto (the singular of biscotti!). But they can still be dunked with impunity! I speak from experience, as I submerged them in a glass of Sauvignon Blanc that I just happened to have around. Wonder how it got there. Chilled to the right temperature, too.

Remember that "biscotti" is plural and is pronounced with an -oh sound, not an an -aw sound (which I heard at the store as I was examining them). Also remember that "biscotti" simply means cookies in Italian, and the actual word is cantuccini (in Tuscany; then there are similar cookies in other regions with different names).

(In the photo, the famous cantuccini from Prato in Tuscany)