Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Spaghetti frittata

Here's another one of my what-I-had for lunch posts. Since today is a cleaning day, I decided to minimize the cooking, and went with a spaghetti frittata. This is not something I just made up; it is actually part of the Neapolitan tradition.




I had cold, leftover spaghetti in the fridge (other pasta may also be used). Some people actually use leftover pasta with sauce for this e.g. spaghetti with ragu', but this sounds very unappealing to me. So. I used four eggs (ideally, for frittate and omelettes, they should be at room temperature). I beat the eggs and added a generous amount of parmigiano-reggiano, salt and freshly ground pepper. I heated a few tablespoonfuls of olive oil in a 10" teflon pan, then placed enough spaghetti to almost cover the bottom of same. I sauteed the spaghetti just enough to warm it. In the meantime I turned on my broiler to high. I added the egg mixture and allowed to set a bit, then added some capers and a pinch each of dried oregano and marjoram. To finish, I passed the pan quite close to the broiler to cook the top. This is actually rather quick, and is an alternative to flipping and cooking the other side of the frittata in the pan. Be careful not to overcook.

There, all done. Quite filling and tasty, although humble. Like most frittate, it can be eaten warm or cold. You don't have to use parmigiano, which is expensive. You can use things you have on hand: bits of mozzarella or other cheese, onions, bacon, herbs you fancy.