Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Steak, arugula and Parmesan sandwich

Like arugula? While grocery shopping after my yoga class this morning I had a hankering for steak. Not very yogic, but I believe some good red meat from time to time never hurt anyone.

Inspired by the Italian semi-classic dish tagliata alla rucola, I decided to make a sandwich based on this. Or rather the variant that also calls for Parmesan cheese.

So I bought crusty bread (a baguette, in my case) and shaved steak. The other stuff I already had.

At home, I cut off about a third or a fourth of the baguette at one end. Halved it lengthwise, and warmed in toaster oven. I sauteed a clove of garlic in olive oil, added a smidgen of Dijon mustard (optional). I quickly sauteed the shaved steak in the oil till medium-rare, salted and added freshly ground pepper. I removed my bread halves from the oven and liberally sprinkled with Parmesan. I covered both sides with the steak, covered the steak with arugula, and then (important) poured the pan drippings onto the arugula.

I closed the sandwich carefully and ate. Yum yum yum. I had the sandwich with a glass of Cabernet. Yum yum yum yum yum yum. The yogis don't know what they're missing.