Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Sergio Endrigo- Era d'estate



Technically, the first day of fall ("autumn" for all you furriners) isn't until next week. But the calendar can't fool me. Today is rainy and cool in Boston, and all the students, big and small, are back. A few of the leaves are even turning. Here's an appropriately wistful song about summer and fall and the transition from one to another, from Sergio Endrigo. Italian learners will note the use of the imperfect tense throughout.

Era d’estate e tu eri con me
Era d’estate poco tempo fa
Ora per ora noi vivevamo
Giorni e notti felici senza domani

Era d’autunno e tu eri con me
Era d’autunno poco tempo fa
Ora per ora senza un sorriso
Si spegneva l’estate negli occhi tuoi

Io ti guardavo e sognavo una vita
Tutta con te
Ma i sogni belli
Non si avverano mai

Era d’estate e tu eri con me
Era d’estate tanto tempo fa
E sul tuo viso lacrime chiare
Mi dicevano solo addio.

It was summer and you were with me
It was summer not long ago
Hour by hour we lived
Happy days and nights with no tomorrow.

It was autumn and you were with me
It was autumn not long ago
Hour by hour without a smile
The sun went out in your eyes.

I would look at you and dream of a life
just with you
But beautiful dreams
never come true.

It was summer and you were with me
It was summer a long time ago
And on your face clear tears
said only "farewell" to me.