Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Trader Joe's lemon pepper pappardelle with shrimp and asparagus

I made it today for lunch, but it's good enough for company.

I was just going to make the pappardelle with shrimp when I came home from my thrice-weekly swim (famished). I had in fact the frozen, ready-to-eat shrimp, also from Trader Joe's. But I remembered some fresh asparagus in the fridge, of which I had only used the tips. Having tasted the shrimp and asparagus combination in Asian restaurants, I decided on using both.

I put water on to boil for the pasta. I started by sauteeing one clove fresh garlic in several tablespoonfuls of butter and extra-virgin olive oil (about two or three Tbsp. of each.) I cut the most tender parts of the asparagus spears in 1/4 inch diagonal bites, while thawing the shrimp in the colander. I removed the garlic, set pan aside. Salted the water; when it was boiling, threw in the pappardelle. Returned pan to fire, cooked asparagus pieces al dente, added salt and freshly ground pepper, minced fresh parsley (optional), then added shrimp and cooked briefly till translucent.

In the meantime, the pasta cooked (in less time than the 8-10 minutes indicated on the package.) I quickly drained it and threw it in the pan with the shrimp and asparagus. Mixed quickly, salted to taste. Do not add cheese.

It was not only good, it was booful. So springy, with the pink and the green.