Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2009

I took a peek at Il Fatto Quotidiano

As I said yesterday, I was going to take a look at the new Italian newspaper Il Fatto Quotidiano and I was finally able to access the pdf file of the first edition (yesterday's).
It was pretty much what I expected. Heavy and tendentious. Although it has some prestigious names such as Furio Colombo, Paolo Flores D'Arcais, and Antonio Tabucchi (whose novel Sostiene Pereira- Pereira Declares- I can heartily recommend) its content is predictable. The people behind this think they're part of a new, better Left. They're not.

I wish them success but I think the seriosita' (meaning "seriousness" in the negative sense, something like self-important solemnity) and the redundancy (La Repubblica has already cornered the market on Berlusconi hatred) does not bode well.

Italians continue to be ideological and self-righteous. What the country needs, and needs right now, is concerted action to address its serious problems. These problems cannot all be the result of Silvio Berlusconi. And I'm no admirer of his.