Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Easiest no-cook pasta sauce

Summertime and the livin' is easy. And it will be even easier if you don't have to wither over a hot stove.
Here is my basic no-cook tomato sauce for 2-3:

1 15-oz. can Hunt's tomato sauce
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove fresh garlic, very finely minced
several shredded fresh basil leaves

Make ahead, allow to stand at least two hours. Do not substitute other brands of tomato sauce (no, I am not being paid to say this; somehow I don't think ConAgra needs my endorsement). Do not use pre-peeled or pre-minced garlic (ever). Do not use dried basil. I use Goya olive oil- good price/quality ratio. Do not add salt.


Variations:

Take out basil, subtitute flat-leaf parsley. Add small can good tuna, freshly-ground black pepper.

or,

Add small amounts of your own fresh herbs, finely minced.