Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

Palermo and Sicily

In terms of travel, I must admit to a strong bias in favor of Northern and Central Italy. This bias even extends to Rome, which I don't particularly care for.

But. An area which shouldn't be neglected by anyone is Sicily. There is so much here in terms of history, art, architecture, cuisine, climate, and natural beauty that the island would easily warrant a long vacation just for itself. If I were to summarize my feelings about the region, I would say: Sicily- not just Mafia. Which undoubtedly exists and is a major force there, but has unfairly eclipsed the wonders of the area.

Start your armchair travel with today's article in the New York Times dedicated to the capital, Palermo. Then you can branch out with this comprehensive site, The Best of Sicily.

(in the photo, Palermo's cathedral)