Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Antonioni's Blow up and Kennedy assassination

It occurred to me yesterday, for the first time, that there are strong similarities between Michelangelo Antonioni's Blow up and the circumstances surrounding the Kennedy assassination, including perceptions of the Warren Report and the Zapruder film. Wanting to see if others had noted this, I searched Google in English, and indeed found that I was not alone. I then did a (cursory, I admit) Google search restricted to Italian sites, and found nothing about the analogy. Which would bring up a question which is itself similar to the meaning of the film: is our interpretation of Blow up in light of the assassination a distortion caused by our national obsession with it, or is it really there? Did Antonioni intend to objectively put it there?